Monday, September 27, 2010

4 Weeks from SURGERY!!!

I'm finding it SO hard to believe that we are just one month away from surgery! We have it scheduled for October 26th. It's so weird...just a few years ago, I thought this was never going to happen. We always talked about the possibility of Matt's kidneys failing, but we thought we were like 20-30 years away from it. And even still, Matt's doctor always said that by the time he needed a transplant, there would be a cure for PKD. So we never worried.
The past couple of months have been crazy. Matt has been home with the kids and putting in some OT at the salon (not really the break he was hoping for!) and I have been working way more than full time. The kids kept Matt pretty busy all summer. He's been trying to take it easy, his energy isn't so great, and he has lots of pain in his abdomen and back. He has been receiving weekly Procrit injections. They increase your red blood count when you are severely anemic. So he's had a little more energy the past few weeks, which has been really nice!
So we are just waiting to receive all of the paperwork from Mass General. Then he will have a million appointments, and lots of blood work done and everything should be good to go! Everything is starting to fall into place....we are working on a schedule for the next 6 weeks, and trying to get everything as planned out with the kids and work as possible. Just can't wait for this to all be behind us!
I'll update as often as I can! And send some good vibes this way! :)

2 comments:

  1. Sign me up for as much babysitting as you need!!!!! AND if you need an extra nurse visit....let me know! Oh ya, and I can cook so what kind of diet will he need to follow (?low potassium, ?low sodium.....or regular) so I can send something over for a dinner or two. Love you guys! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited that its finally time! Let me know what i can do to help!

    ReplyDelete